In 1903 Lemp Brewing
(St. Louis) registers the Falstaff trademark & logo.
Falstaff's facility on Gravier Street may be remembered by
many a New Orleans native as a weather forecasting beacon. In
1952, a 125-foot tower was added to the top of the brewery.
The tower was a vertical electrical sign spelling out
"Falstaff" with a large ball on top. The ball would light up
green if fair, red if cloudy, red and white if raining, and
flashing red and white if storms were approaching. The letters
spelling out "Falstaff" signaled the temperature; they flashed
on and off if the temperature was constant and lit from top to
bottom if temperatures were falling, and from bottom to top if
In 1976 the New Orleans brewery is
closed after a lengthy strike in December. The sad story has
it that Pinkerton security guards marched the employees out of
the plant at noon, leaving lunches, drinks, etc. to sit for
years right where they had been left in mid-meal . Some former
female employees wrote Falstaff to try and retrieve their
purses, as they had not been allowed to take anything with
them when the plant was closed.