Image

West End Streetcar


West End was originally an excursion line to the lake at the far northwest corner of New Orleans.  It was powered by steam trains in the early days, beginning in 1876.  In 1898, these were succeeded by trains pulled by double truck electric cars.  Beginning in 1911, New Orleans Railway & Light Co. switched its excursion traffic to Spanish Fort, and that line used the trains, with “Palace” cars pulling single “Coleman” trailers assigned to West End. 

In 1935, cars of the 800-900 series were assigned to West End, and trailer operation was dropped.  After this, West End was in effect a longer and limited-stop version of the Canal-Cemeteries line.  West End cars ran the length of Canal Street from the loop at the foot of Canal all the way out to City Park Ave., but between Claiborne and City Park Ave., they stopped only at Galvez, Broad, Jefferson Davis, and Carrollton.  At the outer end of Canal St., West End cars followed City Park Ave. to West End Blvd., then ran all the way out to the lake.  West End Blvd., while theoretically a public street, was mostly private right of way for West End cars.  There were passenger shelters at stops along West End Blvd.  Buses took over from City Park Ave. to the lake on January 15, 1950. 

SOURCE:  http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/homes/friedman/album/Album.htm#Group035


Lakefront Home

Home