How To Make Silver
- Line the bottom of the sink or a glass-baking dish with
a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Fill the foil-lined container with steaming hot
- Add salt and baking soda to the water. Some recipes
call for 2 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt, whereas others
call for 2 tablespoons each of baking soda and salt.
Personally, I wouldn't measure the amounts... just add a bit
of each substance.
- Drop the silver items into the container so that they
are touching each other and resting on the foil. You will be
able to watch the tarnish disappear.
- Leave heavily tarnished items in the solution for as
long as 5 minutes. Otherwise, remove the silver when it
- Rinse the silver with water and gently buff it dry with
a soft towel.
- Ideally, you should store your silver in a low-humidity
environment. You can place a container of activated charcoal
or a piece of chalk in the storage area to minimize future